Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Thinking About Mother's Day

Fidgity Elephant: Can you bear it? When she doused the ringmaster, I thought I'd just die.
Giddy: Well personally I think she went a bit too far.
Elephant Matriarch: Oh, you're right dear.
Giddy: Oh, well, I suppose thats mothers love.
Dumbo 1941


Dumbo was ridiculed by his circus friends, his mother's fierce love to protect him caused the circus ringmaster to lock her up, saying she was insane. Fortunately Dumbo had a mentor, surrogate, guide in Timothy Q Mouse. Timothy encourages Dumbo and convinces him that his big ears enable him to fly (with the help of a tiny white magic feather). Dumbo is forced to jump from a high platform and looses his feather on the way down. Timothy assures him that he really didn't need the feather after all. Dumbo trusts his friend and flies all around the Big Top. He becomes a star and media sensation. Dumbo and his Mother are reunited and are even given a private car on the circus train.

WOW, is this story loaded for me as I think about Mother's Day. Firstly I totally relate to Mrs. Jumbo. What Mother doesn't? When your kid is hurting the pain is usually as bad for you. That was never explained in any of the "How to Mother Manuals" that I read. It's a fact that reveals itself with on the job training. It's really intense - it's a visceral reaction to seeing someone that you care so deeply about suffer.

As a Mom I tried to do my best (being a single mom, a working mom, a newly remarried mom), life stuff happened as I was raising him - it was a balancing act, always. But the love that I have for my kid was and is just as powerful as what Mrs. Jumbo felt. My reaction would have been as extreme had I seen my son taunted. Maybe ! Of course there were times that I had to zip up my mouth and let life's lessons happen. You can't fight all of their battles. Luckily Dumbo had the support of his trusted friend Timothy. How fortunate that was, for even with a Mother's love, there are times that a friend, pal, confidant on our side really helps.

I'm also thinking about my Mother's love for me. She's been gone for over 5 years and I know she would have gone to the ends of the earth and back for me, if she could. Our relationship was not without complications .... because she cared so much, sometimes (especially as a teenager) I felt smothered (funny how the word mother is in smother!). As an adult she was interested in every event in my life, and because she cared and like Mrs. Jumbo had such a strong reaction to my stuff - I shielded her from some of the more challenging things that I was going through.

Like Dumbo (who balanced himself on top of a pyramid of elephants) it's important to find that balance. Letting our children make their decisions, live their life, finding a way to live ours, protecting them while they are young - but as they grow realize that they too have to find balance and learn to protect themselves.

I miss my Mom today, I miss her caring, her worrying, her love, her great sense of humor, her sense of style. As far as Mom's go - Mrs. Jumbo had nothing on her.

Cool Tip: Those thin disposable panty liners have a bunch of other uses. Use them for protection under arms, or even to line a hat. I line my riding helmet with them, front and back and just toss them when needed and replace!

2 comments:

  1. You are SO SO lucky to have a mother that was like you describe. Cherish the memory..not all of had such a privilege.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane,
    LOVE THIS!! I just found your blog; don't know why I didn't know you had one! (But that's just me with my head in the clouds again!) Congrats on your knew website! Good Luck with everything!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete